Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ridiculous rules.

Go down 
+2
Delz
Himura Kenshin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Himura Kenshin
Magnus Imperator
Himura Kenshin

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 5:15 pm

well.. as most of you know ive been away for sometime.. but sorta gonna get back into the loop right.. but.. what the hells with some of these rules? mainly the have to post in 3rd person rule. so your telling me you'd rather have some one post some half a-sed BS then a great post in 1st person? isnt the whole point of RP'ing to ROLE PLAY? personally when i role play i like to put my self in my characters shoes. if you don't more power to ya. but honestly; its not even as if a 1st person post is difficult to read. i could under stand if you said dont post offensive remarks or something (which im sure you did) because these are general rules. but this 'controlling' sort of thing thats going on around here is just ludicrous.
Back to top Go down
Delz
RP Admin
Delz

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 6:12 pm

Wow, first try smaller text..It's obnoxious. Ever heard of how stupid people talk loud to sound smart? I believe the concept applies here.

Anyway, it is best that we all roleplay in the same perspective, to keep things neat and organized. Do you know how frustrating it is to shift from 3rd to 1st person constantly? No, it's best that everyone sticks to 3rd person. If you want to put yourself in the shoes of your character have fun, I know I like to do that with books. But I still read them as third person and you can still write it as third person.

As for the half-assed comment, the perspective doesn't mean shit. If you are going to post a half-assed post or bullshit post, etc. you are going to do it no matter if you are using "he" or "I".
Back to top Go down
Hezro Hittori
Captain Commander
Hezro Hittori

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:10 pm

I agree with Xuntaii, its to keep the site well organized and to avoid confusion.

oot: didn't realize you were still with us Xuntaii
Back to top Go down
http://bleachsoulsofwar.powerrpg.com
Himura Kenshin
Magnus Imperator
Himura Kenshin

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:17 pm

actually; if posting as i did such and such as to posting as he did such and such makes YOU feel more comfortable with you post you end up posting better.

As for the stupid people talk loud etc. only a dumb ass yells when its uncalled for. only read on i even did so much since what was in that post was rather crude and most people would rather look at a rounder font then some bunched together rant. it really isnt my fault this forum only has like 5 sizes now is it?

Any way. if you find it ridiculous to switch from first person to third person and vice versa then ask the people you rp with to stop it or w.e. rather then make it a requirement for someone to post this way or else.

As for the whole book comment; good novels come in a multitude of points of views. either way; i never said it was impossible or even hard for someone to post in 3rd person. i simply said it was ridiculous to control how someone RPs. especially when its such a tedious thing as a POV. and how can you call some one stupid when it confuses you to switch from one POV to another?
Back to top Go down
Hezro Hittori
Captain Commander
Hezro Hittori

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:41 pm

Ask yourself something though Kenshin, have you ever been punished for posting in 3rd person? I believe not. One more than one occasion we have asked people to kindly switch over to 1st person for one general reason. Currently there are only two people on the site who have posted in 1st person; yourself and Arturas Von. So due to lack of popularity we added the 'rule' just to make the site more professional.Now if the majority of our users were to post in 1st person I would gladly change to to say only post in 1st person to keep to this professional outlook of the site. I think you have been overreacting to this too, almost like you have been singled out which clearly isn't the case. So I ask you to please calm down and think of this through an administrative point of view, as i had to do when I was creating the 'rule' .
Back to top Go down
Himura Kenshin
Magnus Imperator
Himura Kenshin

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:48 pm

well.. im not really trying to pick a fight over it. as i said in my first post i was simply returning and trying to catch up; and alot of the people i know on this site are complaining about their being the whole NO 1st person thing. so i was sorta trying to see if that whole you must post in 3rd person rule could be changed. or at least relaxed a bid
Back to top Go down
Hezro Hittori
Captain Commander
Hezro Hittori

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:00 pm

Like i stated earlier, the majority of the users here post 3rd person and is the reason the so called rule is in effect. Plus i must say it is easier to understand the actions of someone posting in 3rd person better than 1st person, its not a huge difference but one nonetheless. It just makes topics easier to understand when everyone is posting in the same thing. And as far as relaxed i think its as relaxed as i can make it right now lol. now if someone addressed you about it in an order-like tone then i would speak against THEM in your defense. Like i said before, its just a simple request to make the forum more professional and is treated as such receiving no punishment for doing so. However, if it becomes a problem then i would have to address it starting with a general warning and move to something more severe such as taking away some of your worthless points lol.
Back to top Go down
Delz
RP Admin
Delz

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 10:45 pm

Hezro Hittori wrote:
I agree with Xuntaii, its to keep the site well organized and to avoid confusion.

oot: didn't realize you were still with us Xuntaii

I'm here purely as an advocate for the site, I gave up RP not moderation. Unless of course you don't need me .-.

As for the topic at hand.. I have many flaws in your argument that I would like to point out, but this isn't a debate. The point is that it is more of a guideline than a rule. Obviously we aren't going to set up a team of enforcers to go banning people who consistently post in first person. It's simply there to keep as few people as possible from jumping POV's in a topic. It's unorganized, and unprofessional. As for your comment about the various points of view, the POV generally change at logical points, like dramatic scenes in a story where it becomes more like the character telling you what happened than a narrator doing so. It doesn't go from one paragraph of 3rd person to three paragraphs of 1st person, you can see how ridiculous that would become.
Back to top Go down
Hezro Hittori
Captain Commander
Hezro Hittori

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 10:53 pm

Xuntaii Kuchiki wrote:

I'm here purely as an advocate for the site, I gave up RP not moderation. Unless of course you don't need me .-.

i thought you topic said "leaving the site" so i only assumed... but I'm glad you are still here, even if its just as a mod
Back to top Go down
Delz
RP Admin
Delz

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 11:05 pm

Yes, well, I had a slight, VERY slight, change of heart
Back to top Go down
Kazumi

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 12:09 am

This is what I say: Great rpers role play in 3rd person, wanna be great then i suggest you do the same, its not that hard. And arguing about something like this that should be a 'no brainer' makes you look like a n00b in the eyes off those who do in fact rp good and in 3rd person. No offense, but thats just how i view it and how many other great rpers do. Go to about almost any other professional site and see if they don't have that rule.
Back to top Go down
Arturas Von
4th Division Captain
Arturas Von

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 2:40 pm

I disagree, a great rper is someone who posts consistently good quality posts whether they be in 1st or 3rd person. More power to those who rp well in 3rd person, but honestly saying that if someone rp's in 1st person rather than 3rd makes them a worse rp'er than someone who posts in 3rd person is ludicrous.

As far as changing POV being labelled as "unproffesional", i wasnt aware that RP'ing was now considered a profession. To the best of my knowledge it was something to do for fun or just to practice ones ability to describe a scenario effectively, but i guess the meme must be true and the internet really must be serious buisness.
Back to top Go down
Delz
RP Admin
Delz

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Arturas Von wrote:
I disagree, a great rper is someone who posts consistently good quality posts whether they be in 1st or 3rd person. More power to those who rp well in 3rd person, but honestly saying that if someone rp's in 1st person rather than 3rd makes them a worse rp'er than someone who posts in 3rd person is ludicrous.

As far as changing POV being labelled as "unproffesional", i wasnt aware that RP'ing was now considered a profession. To the best of my knowledge it was something to do for fun or just to practice ones ability to describe a scenario effectively, but i guess the meme must be true and the internet really must be serious buisness.

Roleplaying may be something you do for fun, but think about it like this. You go to places like Movie Theatres for fun, and yet they still have to look professional or the majority of people won't go to it. Why go to an unprofessional, slob of a place when you can go to one that looks wonderful, well-kept, and professional?
Back to top Go down
Gin Katsuoru
3rd Division Captain
Gin Katsuoru

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Since when was it deemed "unprofessional" to RP in 1st person? You sound more like a stubborn old woman that's stuck in her ways, as opposed to someone opening to possibilities. While on the topic of professionalism, the most professional about said establishments is the fact that its open to variety. In reference to RP'ing, everyone expresses themselves in a different light, so why moderate it by saying you can't be who you are?

Honestly, is it that big of a deal? Or, is it more on the fact of you protecting the prideful ways you've displayed of you being the sole heir of the "Right" in discussions?

Multiple members of this site openly express their disdain for RPers coming here from BSE. In such, if an argument is proposed by one of those RPers, its either immediately dismissed, or argued upon until the pursuance of said argument leads to nothing more than a mild headache. Not to get off of the topic at hand, if you disagree with 1st person RP, it'd be nice for the reasoning being something other than the half-assed excuses that precede my comment. That will be all. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Delz
RP Admin
Delz

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 7:01 pm

Gin Katsuoru wrote:
Since when was it deemed "unprofessional" to RP in 1st person? You sound more like a stubborn old woman that's stuck in her ways, as opposed to someone opening to possibilities. While on the topic of professionalism, the most professional about said establishments is the fact that its open to variety. In reference to RP'ing, everyone expresses themselves in a different light, so why moderate it by saying you can't be who you are?

Honestly, is it that big of a deal? Or, is it more on the fact of you protecting the prideful ways you've displayed of you being the sole heir of the "Right" in discussions?

Multiple members of this site openly express their disdain for RPers coming here from BSE. In such, if an argument is proposed by one of those RPers, its either immediately dismissed, or argued upon until the pursuance of said argument leads to nothing more than a mild headache. Not to get off of the topic at hand, if you disagree with 1st person RP, it'd be nice for the reasoning being something other than the half-assed excuses that precede my comment. That will be all. Thank you.

Haha, wow. Do you always attack others during a civil debate? That would be what many call "a low blow" or just plain immature. I am the main person arguing against this ridiculous topic, so I take it as you implying that I am biased against people from this "BSE"? I have no idea who came from that site, nor do I care. It doesn't matter where you come from, I'll argue my point in the exact same way.

I have no idea who you are talking about when you say "is it more on the fact of you protecting the prideful ways you've displayed of you being the sole heir of the "Right" in discussions?" But I fail to see anyone trying for such a thing in this argument. No one called 1st Person RP unprofessional, besides maybe Kazumi, we simply brought up the fact that flopping back and forth between POV's in topic makes the site look unprofessional. There is also the fact that I have seen exactly two people who roleplay well in 1st person, and even then they tend to be frustratingly mediocre. Regulating the POV will allow for smoother roleplays, it will show that we have a tight hold on our site- which is, believe it or not, a good thing-, and it works with the style that the majority of our members use. If you want to roleplay in first person roleplay somewhere else, or even do it in a private topic with others who do the same thing/don't care. I doubt anyones going to punish you for it. Like I said, it's more of a guidline than a rule, what are we going to do about it? 2 day ban for posting out of 3rd person?

This topic is ridiculous as it is pointless.
Back to top Go down
Himura Kenshin
Magnus Imperator
Himura Kenshin

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 12:56 am

Look; this shit is getting us no where. you sitting here arguing that people who post in 1st person post mediocrity (when your own posts aren't to stellar yourself.) while saying your not saying anything about 3rd person being more professional or whatever your attempting to prove is just hypocritical and stupid. i posted a complaint. since i was getting messages in chat saying you COULDNT post in 1st person. not a guide line. a rule. so i treated it as such.

Now; for some one who claims to only be "loosely" affiliated with this site; your either a hypocrite on that also or have an abundance of free time on your hands seeing as how the admin replied, answered the question and left. yet you want to sit here and call other people childish while saying your not attempting to argue.

this whole Thread has went completely off topic. and honestly my concern already got answered. so if you wouldn't mind. i'd appreciate if this thread were locked deleted or what ever. this childish bickering is annoying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ridiculous rules. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous rules.   Ridiculous rules. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ridiculous rules.
Page 1 of 1